13 January 2009

Slumdog Millionaire: Can fairy tale escapism be bad?

Escapism is different to different people. As Americans, we can escape to India in this film and enjoy a 'pure' and beautiful experience about lovers who rise from "rags to raja" - sort of. It's hopeful in someways and tragic in others - but is it possible that art can fail humanity?

That sounds daunting, but hear me out.

In a nation of over a billion people (and growing exponentially still) and wrestling with a bad government, bad policies, and a bad standard of living - does this story do the Indian people any justice? It shows the slums of SouthEast Asia (something we don't think about often enough) and it puts us into another culture. We experience poor India, Hero-obsessed India, TV Show-Obsessed India, Muslim vs. Hindu India, Americanized India, and so on. But could Danny Boyle have done more for the people of India than just showing a classic story told in an original way?

I loved this film. I felt it was about time to share that before I get too off track. I can tell why it won Best Picture, Screenplay, Director, and Score. I can definitely tell the score. It was a very American-Indian in it's refreshing blend of traditional India music with American beats. The performances are excellent and the climax is well deserved. This film is not rushed nor slow. It unfolds before our eyes like a dance - even at tragic moments were amazed at the magic.

It is a film about destiny, (Jamal and Latika) fate, and redemption (Salim). It is very powerful and inspiring, but my realist continues to slap me in the face. Is this what the world needs right now? Is this what India needs right now? It's overly critical of me to cut the legs under this film by being a Negative Nancy. However, what we see superficially is India - but when no real solution is provided through this art - when nothing is advocated - no plan - then no real hope exists. I'm waiting for the day where a film is inspirational, not because of good filmmaking, but because the film itself is actually making a difference.

It is a modern fairy tale. The question is: in the world we live in today, is a fairy tale the right answer?

Justice, my friends, justice. Is there justice here to India's poor?

I must be the biggest Negative Nancy to have written this blog post, but it's all about the philosophy behind art. Adult fairy tales? What do they do for us? Is this really the best picture? It may be everything else. But how can best picture be given to a film that just perpetuates fantasies and neglects to solve issues. This is a movie, not a film. This is a really, really, really fantastic movie.

But just like in my post about Chinatown, this doesn't do anything. It inspires us, and most of the time thats enough for me! I promise! I sound bipolar because I honestly did enjoy this movie, I just figured no one else was going to ask the question...

Can fairy tale escapism be bad?

To a country like India........ hm.....

Nevertheless I am glad that this was a portal for the rest of the world to see into the recent history of India. The slums, the city, the tourism. It is a film about an India we don't normally see... I just felt like may be there should be a Slumdog Millionaire Part 2 where Jamal uses his money and brilliance to solve problems.

May be that would be a movie to inspire change.

No comments:

Post a Comment